Forum home Plants

Ideas please...

RoshermRosherm Posts: 5

I have a south facing perennial border that needs an additional plant. The colour scheme is blue and purple. I would like to find something that grows no higher than a meter and looks reasonably compact. It will sit amongst lavender, brunnera, erysimum bowles mauve, aubretia, hardy geranium, purple sage, agapanthus, and purple aster. I would preferably like a long flowering season or at least flowering in August. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried salvia a couple of times but it doesn't survive. 

Thank you. 

• Penstemon?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

If your soil is pretty free draining, nothing beats Achilleas that starts from June to August. Plenty of pinks to choose from. And Sedum Telephium Red Cauli and Autumn Joy, both good candidates for shades of pinks and dark pinks.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Fuchsia?  They come in every shade of pink and purple, and in most growth habits.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580

Assuming you wish to stick with blue or purple, have a look at delphinium Magic Spires series.  They grow up to 1m high but you'll need good slug deterrents.

Agastache rugosa produces purple flowers from summer into autumn and has scented, edible leaves.   Gets to about 80cm high but can be short lived so plan to take cuttings regularly.

Lobelia Hadpsen purple will get to about 60cm high and flowers from summer into autumn.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561

I have a Platycodon 'balloon flower' and it's the most glorious shade of blue.  It might not be big enough to fill the space in your border though, mine is only 30cm tall and wide after 4 years from a cutting.  It's in full bloom now but will start dying back in Sept.

I also have 2 compact varieties of Hebe, one a deep pink and the other a purple/blue shade. Sorry I can't remember their names.   They both flower throughout the summer although their main flush is late July (in my garden anyway). Evergreen so it doesn't leave a hole in the border over winter.

Last edited: 15 August 2017 05:29:47

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Late flowering Aconitum ?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297

Some nice purple dahlias available - get them off to a good start and they can flower June till frosts.

Last edited: 15 August 2017 08:32:17

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Phlox? Mine are flowering now and is blue. Also have a purple one.

Last edited: 15 August 2017 08:49:50

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,455

Aster frikartii Monch or aster Little Carlow. They are late flowerers from August on. But my Monch needs a little support as it can be a bit floppy.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • RoshermRosherm Posts: 5

So many wonderful ideas!  Thank you everyone. :)