Wildlife pond

It was about this time last year I began contemplating putting in a wildlife pond and sought advice from many of you wonderful members.  

Work started and then was halted due to an accident at work. However, come springtime work began again in earnest.  I have popped on now and again to ask for more advice and did share a couple of earlier pics with you all.

I want to share with you how it looks this week and thank each and everyone who gave their time and advice.  There are too many to name you all idividually.   I must say I am really pleased with the results in such a short time and look forward to my pond maturing.  I discovered a frog(?) in there last week but by the time I ran back indoors to get the camera, he had disappeared!

There are many critters in there, birds are loving it and I've even had my first water lily flower

The pond is stocked with natives and a few non navites and a variety of plants on the surrounds.  It will be left now until spring to see just what thrives and what doesn't.

I'd also like to say to anyone who in contemplating putting in a wildlife pond, just do it!  It's worth all the effort, I promise.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,949

It looks fantastic Angie - congratulations image

It's worth all the hard work when you eventually start to see the end result. Having a few visitors to watch 'using the facilities' makes it even better.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,618

It looks fantastic ... really great image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

What did you plant?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,980

Superb - looks like it has been there for decades, not months! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Thank you Fairygirl - your encouragement really helped.  It's fascinating just staring into the water.  My wee grandson (who is never left unattended) loves it too.  Although he does insist on shooing off anything that flies.  Screaming at them that it's Grammas!

Dovefromabove - your earlier posts were inspiring and very useful in the construction.  Cheers again!

Redwing - in the pond there hornwort, purple loosestrife, brooklime, forget me nots, Caltha palustrus, Pontederia, Lobelia, Scripus, Ranunculus flammula and a couple of dwarf waterlillies.  Around the pond a mixture of moisture loving perennials - Astilbe, Ligulara, Actaea, Hosta, Iris, more purple loosestrife (said to be a short form), Persicaria, Carex elata and various Trollius.  I think perhaps not enough evergreen cover but will see how it looks over winter before I add anything else.  The only thing that has failed to thrive is Sagittaria sagittifolia.   

BobTheGardener - thank you.  I thought that too when looking at the pictures, it put a big smile on my face.  Found this wee guy chilling on a rock this morning.  Admittedly, I don't know my frogs from my toads at the moment.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Thanks for list, Angie. As I write this my pond is being dug.

Oh, exciting time Redwing :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,949

'If you build it, they will come' Angie image

Isn't it great when they start moving in? He looks more froggy than toady - toads are quite warty, but you'll certainly be able to tell when you get some spawn. The toad spawn is laid in long lines rather than a big lumpy clump of jelly  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It sure is.  I the picture up for an id on ispot and was told it was a common frog so you are right.  Found this on the front drive and promptly depositied him amongst the foliage near the pond.  I hope he manages to survive. As you can see he's a tiny wee toad.  All welcome!