Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenhouse climate control

Hello, my aim is to build the greenhouse of size approx. 15x15m^2 with height of 2.5 or 3 m. The problem which I'm struggling to solve is how to manage the temperature in certain range? The greenhouse is for hydroponics system, will try first lettuce then something else on Nutrient Film Technique. Also I want to use green energy sources (solar panels, windmills etc) and with automated control of temperature. 

But weather conditions are what make me worry, winter can be -40 C and at summer it can raise up to +40. Also, in summer it can be warm during the day (+30) but at nights it can drop to 18 C or 12 C.

So, how should I design the heating/cooling system? I'm thinking about electrical heating systems in winter, maybe infrared systems, but I'm not confident about it because I can't relate minimal temperature of -40 with the type and amount of heaters. And thats only about heating, there is also cooling part.. 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Wouldnt using solar panels make the green house dark ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

LOL ... they don't have to be on the roof.  

Think of solar parks ... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

You could use solar panels to drive electric ventilation fans for summer cooling.  Agree with Mike about heating - insulation in winter will be at least as important as choosing a heat source.

One thing to consider is having large volumes of water present inside the structure as water will help stabilize the temperature by absorbing heat during the day and slowly releasing it at night.  In Victorian times, hothouses often had a heating system consisting of of large diameter cast-iron pipes which contained a large amount of slowly pumped water.  They managed to grow all sorts of things considered as exotic for the UK climate, such as pineapples.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933
    Dovefromabove says:

LOL ... they don't have to be on the roof.  

Think of solar parks ... 

imageSee original post 

I was actually thinking of  someone who has them on a cowshed, it makes the cowshed very dark!   imageSo as the heading was""Greenhouse Climate Control" I took this to be.on the Greenhouse itself!!!! imageimage

Just goes to show .......always learning!image...

X