Forum home Plants

Overhanging clematis

I have a six foot fence which has clematis most of the way round my garden. Went down this morning & my newish neighbour has not just cut cut the overhang-which is their right-but they have hacked away at it so much that it has been pushed down about three feet on my side of the fence. Surely this can't be allowed. If they had come to my door I would've cut the overhang away mysel, I am a reasonable person but they have caused a lot of damage. I know it will grow back quickly but I was shocked when I saw it today.

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Speak to your neighbour. 

Agree a maintenance strategy that suits both of you.  

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173

Perhaps being charitable they didn't realise the full implications of their "pruning".  So a chat over a cup of tea would be a way to show them your frustrations and get them to realise that a bit of neighbourliness goes a long way.

It may not work, of course, but it's worth a try.  Otherwise you may end up inwardly seething and looking for problems, however minor in the future, that simply end up blighting your life.

Neighbours can be a blessing - or a curse!  Try not to let them become the latter if at all possible.