Forum home Plants

Pruning Hibiscus

I have a 5 year old hibiscus which is now so heavy with flowers that it is falling over, covering the ground cover beneath it and falling onto the lawn.  It just seems too heavy to support itself.  My question is:  if I chop it right down to the ground will it grow again so I can give it the support it needs?  If so, what would be the best time of year to do it?  Thanks!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,839

I suggest you take out one in 3 stems back to the main stem now to lighten the load and help stabilise it at the roots.   Firm it in if necessary and water it.

Major structural pruning can then be carried out next spring after the worst of the frosts are over.   You'll be able to see the shape better then too before it gets its foliage.  Afterwards, give it a generous handful of slow release fertiliser such as blood, fish and bone or rose or tomato food and a liquid tonic of tomato food when the first leaf buds start to open. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for that advice.  I'll do as you suggest.