Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Insulating gap on lean-to greenhouse wall

Limited by space and site options my new lean-to greenhouse is fitted with a base on decking. 

The way the decking was fitted in this new house means with the greenhouse flush at the top to the wall, one side wall has a 1" gap. This is great for ventilation now, but in winter it is really going to cause a lot of problems.

What has anyone used to seal an 8 foot x 1 inch gap? Could I use something used in lofts? Should I get a piece of wood cut and have it slotted in (the frame of the lean to is aluminium so hammering isn't an option).

Any tips or ideas would be really welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I had a similar problem with my lean-to.
    I had a grub around in my shed and came across an old venetian blind with wooden slats. I snapped them into suitable lengths and jammed them into the gaps - that was in 2010 and they're still holding fine today

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

squirty foam. It comes in tins. It bloops out all over the place but when it's dry you can trim it flat with a bread knife and then use normal filler to smooth the surface and then paint it.

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.”