Forum home Plants

Chamaedorea Elegans Dying?!

olly_olly_ Posts: 5

Hi, so I've had my chamaedorea elegans for around two months now. I bought it inside of a store in which where it was in a plastic pot. It looked healthy at the time so I bought it. I started feeding it after a couple of weeks and it's been growing new shoots. I've found now though that the older, smaller shoots are dying. I'm not sure if this is a natural process like the one with my Dracaena Marginata where the older leaves make room for the newer shoots. 

Please let me know if this is natural or the plant is actually dying.

Last edited: 12 August 2017 11:36:55

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Hello olly ;

As is the case with all palms , the older outer leaves tend to brown and wither , thus making space for the new growth .

Always be careful never to damage the central growing bud , as any harm done here is irreversible .

• olly_olly_ Posts: 5
    Paul B3 says:

Hello olly ;

As is the case with all palms , the older outer leaves tend to brown and wither , thus making space for the new growth .

Always be careful never to damage the central growing bud , as any harm done here is irreversible .

See original post

Thank you! :)

• olly_olly_ Posts: 5
    Paul B3 says:

Hello olly ;

See original post

Also, may I ask if they peel off? How do you remove them?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Hi olly

If the old leaves are really brown and withered , sometimes they peel off ; otherwise cut as close to the stem as possible .