Forum home The potting shed

Plants For A Car

Many moons ago, I used the rear seat space of a Vauxhall Cavalier  to grow pelargoniums and young tomato plants. They seemed to like it very much. Not sure what they thought about the travelling as I never asked them. I now have a larger car with five seats which are hardly used apart from the front passenger seat and driver seat of course. The car is rarely empty. It's either full with timber, recycled materials or compost. I'm now thinking of using it to grow some plants that will benefit from winter protection. I'm aware that the inside temperature drops quite quickly overnight so I am looking at finding plants that will not suffer from the drop in temperature.

If you have any suggestions please post. Obviously anything bushy would be out of the question as it would obscure my vision. It would also be useful to know about any fruit bearing plants which I could snap off and nibble en route to wherever I may be going. Oh...scented plant suggestion would also be useful. Better than those horrid cheap dangly things on sale at garages and Halfords.

Thank You.

????

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

if you are serious about this(?) it would suit things like Echinaceas that can cope with cold but hate winter wet for overwintering .

Lack of light might be a problem in the winter months for other plants. Scented leaf pelargoniums might work, though they might need fleecing on really cold nights.

Having plants in the car might make your windows steam up more and freeze if it's cold, so a pain to clear. More seriously, unsecured pots would be an additional danger in the case of an accident.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,533

Mustard and cress.

Low growing if you eat plenty of it.

Mushrooms in the boot would be good too.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • They will be fine for light. More glass than a greenhouse! The air-con demists in seconds. I keep them in a sturdy box - no different from carrying luggage or shopping. I think I'll give your suggestion of scented pelargoniums a try. Never tried Echinaceas.

Thank You

P.S. I find the company of plants much more enjoyable than some passengers I have had!

?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

Some of them are quite demanding but they aren't back seat driversimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650

To be honest, I think the idea is a bit daft, although I do agree with you about the company of plants.

I cannot see how a car can have as much light as a greenhouse. What about the roof.

You will also get massive temperature swings, which will see off many plants.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I used to use my Vauxhall chevette estate to start off my tomato plants in the spring!! image

Last edited: 12 August 2017 14:03:04