Forum home Problem solving

slug pubs

Whilst I am a  bit of an arachnaphobe I love having a healthy population of spiders in the garden. I am unfortunately catching a few in my beer traps, any ideas?

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 330

I stopped using them when I found a dead frog in one. Seemed to have tried to get at one of the slugs in there and fell in. 

• Oh dear! I have been emptying htem in the morning which helps, but I can't get there as soon as it's light. 

• There seems to be no easy answer, I don't want to stop growing beans!

• I saw something last night on a gardening program saying beer traps weren't that affect. They suggested spraying the plants with a garlic solution. They boiled a few garlic bulbs in a pan to make a concentrate and then diluted and sprayed on the plants. Apparently slugs and snails don't like the taste.

Not sure of the exact quantity of garlic etc - but maybe worth looking into rather than beer traps. I'm definitely going to try it ! 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

It works here too. As well as lambs wool pellets for mulching in Spring (when shoots are at the greatest risk) 

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 330

I tried the garlic spray one year. 2012 it was. It rained every single day which kept washing it all away so I cannot testify for its effectiveness as the year after I just went straight to pellets.