Forum home The potting shed

Slowly getting there

This was the garden in our new house when we moved in! Boring and nothing exciting! Good news we are finally getting somewhere..

Just the left hand border and the front to do ????! 

imageimageimageimage

I have a thing for Dahlias ????

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Thats looking good ?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,726

Lovely.

You need more flower beds.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 558

That is absolutely great. Congratulations. Can I make a suggestion? You have three walls/ fences. Ideal for growing clematis. Because it grows tall but does not shade anything out, you will still be able to grow bedding plants underneath and they will quickly smother the fences and walls with flower. Make sure you get different types that will flower in succession from Spring to Autumn. Good luck - Ian.

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

Well done, the dahlias look fab.   How about fruit trees against that wall?

• What a transformation, a lot of thought and effort has gone into the changes you have made, and I would suggest you could add some colourful pots or troughs at the top end where the paving is (or remove the paving if you are able to, to add another flower bed). To draw more insects, bees and butterflies into your garden add plants that will attract them like lavender, honeysuckle or single flowered dahlias like Bishop of Auckland.  Introducing a herb trough with rosemary and thyme included will attract bees too.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Great job. .....it's lovely to compare the original with the new