Forum home Plants

What is this plant

Hi, Can anyone tell me what this plant is? Sorry photo is upside down.

i don't think it is a Little Red Robin.  It has been in my border for about 6 years and has not really grown very much. So I am going to pot it up, but need to use the correct soil for it, in the hope it will survive. Thanks. 

Last edited: 11 August 2017 20:16:04

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

I think it's Leucothoe , if so needs rainwater and ericaceous compost ; dappled shade also helps .

• Thankyou so much Paul, I was going to use Ericacious Compost, but just wanted to make sure. It is in shade but I don't think it liked the clay soil.

Last edited: 11 August 2017 21:00:30

Glad to have been of help image

• Good call Paul. Indeed it is what you say - see link below. I have just repotted one into ericaceous compost. It was looking very sick and droopy. Within weeks it has perked up with new leaves all bright and shiny. I'm feeding it with acid feed. Certainly a slow grower.

I think Madeline's and mine is the Walteri but the conditions are the same.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/124099/Leucothoe-Scarletta-Zeblid/Details

?

Last edited: 11 August 2017 22:38:29

• There's hope for mine then!  I would be interested to see what your Leucothoe looks like now. 

Here you are Madeleine. Taken five minutes ago. Notice the new bronze leaves near to the bottom of the picture compared to a few blackened leaves pre ericaceous soil. Also the black spots on the leaves. I'll let them die of naturally.

• Thanks Robert. I shall be watching mine over the next few weeks.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

An ID needed from me as well please. This appeared when  was clearing stuff around my herb bed I have never seen the likes before. It certainly doesn't look like a herb.

Leaves not much more than 1cm across.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

Could be a sucker or self-set Cotoneaster shrub ; probably C.horizontalis .

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,288

It's a Cotoneaster - present from a birdimage.

Can't say for sure  which one, but could be Horizontalis. There are other small-leaved ones though.