Forum home Plants

Portuguese Laurels

At the end of March I planted 30 x 2 mtr Portuguese Laurels to create a border, they are thriving and have now reached over 8'. During the very dry start to the year I introduced the leaky hose system thanks to the advice from the nursery who sold them to me and it was brilliant advice as its the perfect way to soak the roots without wasting water. I am now approaching the time of the year when I do pruning to all the various tree's in the garden. Advice please should I take a foot off the tops of the Portuguese Laurels to encourage growth lower down to thicken the tree's. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,951

You probably won't want to hear this, but if they were mine I would have cut them down by half on planting, a foot off the top of 8' plants won't make much difference.  It's up to you to try and if they don't thicken at the bottom you will know to cut them back more. 

If you need more, you're better to go for small trees in the first place, then just keep nipping the tops off. 

theres a good thread here.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/656523.html 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.