Forum home Plants

What material can I use to fill garden steps?

I will be building some steps on a slope in my garden soon and was wondering what I could use to fill them? I have found a video where they use limestone screening and then compact it down. Living in the UK I've found it hard to find this material. Does anyone know of an alternative that could be used that would do the same job as limestone screening? 

I will be using wooden runners down the side with the steps being screwed into them on either side slightly raised from the floor.

Last edited: 10 August 2017 22:00:58


  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,407

    Hoggin or M.O.T.? Both are types of compactable gravel, used for paths, drives etc.

  • Thanks for the reply, sorry for more questions but do you happen to know a good supplier for hoggin in the UK?

  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

    If you type quarry or decorative stone or just stone suppliers into a search engine and specify your local area you should find suppliers easily enough. I can tell you most of the "Norn Iron" ones but the delivery might be a bit of a challenge! image

  • Thanks for the help! I shall give it a go and see what I can find 

Sign In or Register to comment.