Forum home The potting shed

Sowing lupin seeds

I have just aquired a few lupin seeds, do they require any special treatment before sowing.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,577

Keep them cool then sow around March, kitchen worktop of greenhouse, they need no special treatment, they germinate easily. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 558

I recently went to Ushuaia, the most southerly town in the world. It is freezing cold yet lupins - which are originally from Canada - grew there in profusion. Don't waste your precious windowsill space, sow them out of doors in mid-September where you want them to grow. They will germinate in Spring. Don't worry if they do so earlier. They really are very hardy. Good luck. Ian

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,781

Due to slug problems, I now treat Lupins as biennials, raising new plants from a June sowing, planting out the following spring.

This was the method that Christopher Lloyd recommended, although he did it so that he could get rid of the tatty plants after flowering, so he could replace them with something more interesting.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,577

Best way Doc, anytime from March to June is good, if I sowed mine direct I'd never see them again unless I covered the area in pellets, and even then you have to transplant them if they do grow, much better to get them to big plants in 6" pots before putting them out. 

Ingle, what suits in your country really doesn't work in the UK. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 558

Well I think Tierra del Fuego and Canada is colder than England! Just for the record, I can't grow lupins here - way too warm.

Last edited: 11 August 2017 23:03:06

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Treating them as biannuals......you are missing the fabulous flourish of flower stems which occur about year 3 and 4.....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,781

If you plant 2 or 3 together, you get the fabulous flower flush from year 1, then replace them as the foliage gets tatty.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root