Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Wisteria pruning advice

Hi all,

I planted a young Wisteria Shiro Kapitan about 5 - 6 months ago now. Growing nicely and training into shape up the front wall of our house, the main stem is approx 1.5m in height (maybe just under) with shoots trained horizontally and vertically.

I know that it recommended to prune Wisteria twice a year, Summer prune and Winter prune. But is the case for a young Wisteria?

Am i best not to prune back and continue to train into desired shape and worry about pruning when the plant is more established.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you image

Last edited: 10 August 2017 11:30:16

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

The pruning not only keeps it to shape and size but also promotes production of flowering spurs.   I have a young, white one in a pot waiting for a permanent home and have done the pruning of longer tendrils, partly to keep it to its current frame support but also to encourage flowers.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Hey Obelixx,

I have cut back some of the longer tendrils which i cant make any use of when trying to build its shape/frame, mainly around the bottom or ones growing directly outwards away from the wall.

Should that be all i prune for now and just let the plant continue establishing itself?

Thanks,

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

JimBob - sounds like you're heading in the right direction.   I have now shortened all the long, whippy tendrils on mine to promote the flowering spurs.    It's hard t advise you further without seeing your plant and its space so I suggest you have a look at this info from the RHS to see if that clarifies things for you.  It includes a video.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

Well worth joining to have access to experts - for free - plus a monthly magazine and free entry to their gardens as well as associate gardens. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato