Forum home Plants

Wild plant id

Not in a garden but saw this on the Common yesterday. Can anyone id it? Is it native? image

• Sarracenia or pitcher plant. 

• They are not indigenous, they come from Canada and USA but have become naturalised in parts of this country.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Two different species/hybrids of Sarracenia there. You should really pull these up by the roots to stop them spreading. Another species (Sarracenia purpurea) is an invasive nuisance on bogs where it has been illegally introduced, especially in Ireland.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Onopordum, I thought it was illegal to uproot wild plants? Does that not apply if they're non-native?  And how far back in history does one go to determine native or not?  I'm not arguing, just wondering about the legal aspect.

• I'll ask the land owners what to do about them.  Thanks!

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390
    josusa47 says:

Onopordum, I thought it was illegal to uproot wild plants? Does that not apply if they're non-native?  And how far back in history does one go to determine native or not?  I'm not arguing, just wondering about the legal aspect.

See original post

Generally yes, you shouldn't go around uprooting plants. But these are ones that clearly shouldn't be there and should be removed. No need to go back in history - these have obviously been planted very recently (and I doubt it was the landowner who planted them).