Forum home Plants

Are these weeds?

CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 503

hello i have two pics to post whilst tidying the borders today. i was wondering if first pic was astrantia  I had planted it there last year but not sure on the leaf and it seems to be wanting to send out runners which I don't think astrantia do? Many thanks imageimageapologies if photos and text are all over place I was doing this from my phone 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142

The first and second photos are Creeping Buttercup.

The third looks like a strawberry leaf.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,552

1st and 2nd - creeping buttercup.  3rd, maybe alpine strawberry.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142

Snap!  Obelixx image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 503

Thanks dove and obelixx better make sure I get rid of the buttercup thing! I thought the other one looked like a strawberry leaf but just couldn't work out how it got there. image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Probably a wild strawberry, a gift from the birds.  Keep an eye on it as they can be invasive and propagate in a similar way to buttercups using both runners and seeds.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,552

Some wild or alpine strawberries have lovely, perfumed flavour and some are deeply bland and boring so, as Bob says, keep an eye on it.  If it produces good fruit, plant it in a confined spece where you can control it.  Otherwise, get rid.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw