Forum home Plants

Moving japanese anenome

I have had a good few japanese anenomes given to me from a friend who has dug them out of his garden! He gave them to me bare root and i have put them into pots with compost. Is there anything i need to do like cut flower foliage back etc to help them take? And is august ok time to do this? 

• You should not have any difficulty establishing them at any time of year, they are bomb-proof. However, you should be aware that they are invasive if not restricted, sending up suckers a good distance from the plant

• That wont be too much of an issue i want them to cover a fair area. And i am looking for as many excuses to get in the garden as i can image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Just had major argument with the wife , can you find me an excuse??image

• I have tons of yellow archangel to remove as well as 40 years worth of crocosmia bulbs to dig up? Good enough excuse haha? image

image Good luck on that one !!

• Thought youd say that image

• I planted the anenomes up and they wilted badly so ha e cut them back and soaked them! Hopefully they will take 

Cut off all foliage and believe me they will take !!image

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,547

I moved some in May, after which it didn't rain for two months. They wilted and went black. Shortly after which OH got a bit strimmer happy and that did for them entirely. No sign of them for weeks. They're about a foot tall now and thinking of flowering. They are also coming up very happily in the place I moved them from. Luckily I like them. But they are, er, persistent image

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”