Forum home Fruit & veg

Vegatable grwoing book

Hi there, I have recently moved house and am looking to have a couple of small veg plots. I am looking to buy a really good reference book. I have grown a few veg in the past, beans, potatoes, onions and garlic, sweetcorn, herbs and salad leaves but would like to learn a lot more about how to grow vegetables, including looking after the soil, when and how to grow, pests etc.

Can anyone recommend a good book please? I did consider an online course but my hubby thinks  a good book would be better as I won't be tied to a timetable , and it's cheaper :-)

Any recomnendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Last edited: 07 August 2017 20:44:14

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • info11info11 Posts: 3

Thanks Scroggin, I'll take a look

• scroggin says:

My favourite book is ' The Vegetable & Herb Expert' by Dr. D. G. Hessayon.

See original post

Agreed with scroggin. Any book produced by Dr. D. G. Hessayon. is brilliant. The guy knows his stuff.

They can be bought on Amazon for as little as 1p plus £2.80 P+P in perfect 2nd hand condition. Go for the latest edition available.

Carol Klein did a fantastic book on veg a few years ago.. Worth looking into...

An allotment book (even if you're growing at home) can be incredibly helpful as they teach unusual tips that you wouldn't dream of. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,179

I always refer to Carol Klein's Grow your own veg book - informative and easy to read image

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,451

The River Cottage Handbook no. 4 'The Veg Patch' or 'The New Kitchen Garden' both by Mark Diacono.

The first is a reference text, plant by plant, very comprehensive for most 'normal' veg.

The second is a really interesting read about the different methods and approaches to veg gardening in the UK, including lots of photos, planting plans and contributions from people who follow different strategies including no-dig, food forests, metre square beds as well as more conventional and much less conventional philosophies. They won't all apply to you but they do all make you think about what you want to do and why image

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • info11info11 Posts: 3

Thank you all. Apolgies for the late reply, didn't receive an email to say there were more replies

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I would suggest getting a selection of books.

Dr D.G.Hessayan books are good.

Aura Garden Guides are good too, I'd recommend the Herbs, propagation and gardens for Wildlife books.

If you want to go organic Bob Flowerdews book, Organic garden basics is a good starting point .

• LynLyn Posts: 21,395

This is the one I use, it's full of info about soil types, compost making etc. As well as veg growing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Expert-books/dp/0903505207/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502443790&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+hessayon+vegetable 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.