Forum home Plants

shady wall ?

image my first post....

I have a small wall which is in a shady corner, I would like to possibly grown some kind of "vertical wall" type of thing....it will sit above a large fern.....

any ideas ?

ta 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

I don't really understand your question I'm afraid. Do you mean you want to put something on the wall in some kind of container, above a fern, or do you mean grow something up the wall?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yeah your right I wasn't very clear.....I have been bought one of those wall hanging pocket type vertical wall planters....so some ideas of shady plants for it ?

ta 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

Small variegated ivies, heucheras and heucherallas, carexes (the green/gold ones are particularly good) alchemilla mollis, ajuga, hostas and vinca will all thrive in shady conditions and in small spaces.  Make sure they have the right soil on planting, and keep well watered. 

There are annuals which will also do well enough in shade, but it's a bit late for those now.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Do you know the type of soil is in that corner? If you have good free draining soil that can hold a bit of moisture, these two climbers should be able to thrive and come back year after year without issue.

Akebia Quinata, the Chocolate Vine can grow very well and tall when it gets going, but very easy to control as it is very fine and easy to thin out. In the early spring time, beautiful cupped shaped blooms in almost the darkest mauve sits neatly against newly emerging leaves. There is even scent too. If the summer has been very hot, you will also have long oval fruits in autumn time that decorate the vines. A great plant for foliage too. I think a really garden worthy climber for any shady area.

Tropaeolum Speciosum is also a great addition to any wall or another object to scramble over. Stunning red flowers spill over the neat leaves. If the soil is moist and cool, the plant will thrive. Both are nice delicate climbers that are easy to control provided conditions suit.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Oops, I just saw Fairygirl's question now. Please ignore my suggestions. I'm thinking about ground plantings.