Forum home Plants

Other Perenials that will split like Astrantia

Rob CGSRob CGS Posts: 1

Hi

Just a follow up from the recent programmes.  I followed the splitting of the Astrantia's that Monty did after his visit to Dublin and Jimi Blakes' amazing gardens.

I've followed this and its working very well. Since we are looking to stock a large garden I wondered what other Perenials will work the same way ? Jacob's Ladders, Salvia, Stokesia Or Perrenial Lobelia.

Any follow up would be great - I may try to contact Mr Blake aswell.

Thanks

• TroutTrout Posts: 1

Hi 

Erigeron will very easily and successfully split like this and will even flower again if split early July.  I've done this in the past and again this year after the programmes.  I've replanted straight into the flower bed and the new plants are already making fresh growth after just two weeks.  

The plant I split about a month ago is ready to flower now but I gave it growmore and have to agree with the programmes that this has made it excessively leafy.  However the flowers have come too.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977

Many geraniums will allow this. I just pulled off some divisions of Geranium nodosum to put in some pots with recently planted bamboo. Alchemilla mollis, definitely. Anything with crowns that can be divided that is reasonably vigorous I would have thought. I've always split plants as and when I needed to, although generally in the autumn / spring, as I want to enjoy them in the summer. Plus if you do it in the summer, you need to give them extra TLC while they establish.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,333

geums seem to split quite readily. I've not tried it when they are in full growth but given how quickly they started to establish I'm guessing they'd be a good bet. 

Hostas are easy to divide, but I would imagine they may be less happy about it being done while they are in full growth, likewise siberian irises. I am only guessing though, not tried it.

Jacob's Ladder - polemonium? - self seeds very readily here so wouldn't need to divide it - likewise my big hardy salvia. Self seeds all over the place. I just dig up seedlings of these (and herbaceous potentilla and sweet cicely and marjoram) and use them to help fill my large garden. 

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872

Anything which produces lots of seeds, like aquilegias or Jacob's ladder, is worth increasing by collecting the seeds yourself, as well as allowing them to self-seed.  If you sow them early they'll be sizeable plants by the summer.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,194

I've split lots of things during summer. Heucheras, geraniums, hostas, anemones, aquilegias and many more.  Not a problem getting them established here as we have plenty of rain, which is far better than trying to 'hand' water too. image

In fact - buying perennials at this time of year is always good value as they're generally bursting out of pots and needing split. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I split a dwarf Veronica before planting today. Don't know if I did right or not. Time will tell. Was contemplating doing the same to a geranium but chickened out of that one.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297

Going to do it on a Physostegia (Obedient plant). A rogue lamb that thinks it's a deer has hard pruned it ready for me, and the clump looks a mess. Given the vigour of the plant, I don't forsee a problem.

Lamb also did the Chelsea chop on some other things - mostly phloxes, they must taste good! They are coming back, but very late to flower, some may not manage it this year. The Campanula lactiflora is flowering though. I was interested in this one, as when Gardening Which ? did a trial on the Chelsea chop, they said it didn't work for campanulas. It is covered in flowers, but looks like a different plant, a mini version. It hasn't regained much height, just put out lots of flower buds, so it is only about a quarter of the usual size.

I bought a Gaura and a Verbena Bon. in the early summer and took foufr cuttings from both - could have made more, but didn't want to set them back too far. Now have 10 plants for the cost of 2!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

I bought an Iris Ensata from RHS Rosemoor a fortnight ago, in a 7cm pot and managed to get 3 decent little chunks from it.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

I'd think smallish hemerocallis would split well too.

Devon.
  • I was thinking about this very subject yesterday as I looked at my own astrantia which is going over.  Do you think it is too late to try and divide it now by this method (ie seed compost etc)   It is about three weeks since that first broadcast on GW?  Thanks