Forum home Plants

Is my pear tree sick?

Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Hi Everyone, my pear tree leaves don't look right.  Does this mean the tree is sick?  I would be most grateful for any help.

• Hi Artemis, the leaves certainly don't look healthy, so I understand your concern. 

I'm not in the least an expert on matters horticultural but I used google and found that it's, apparently, a fungal condition akin to scab. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=black+patches+on+pear+tree+leaves&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=QnOHWfzlLbTc8AeqmIGwAw

I haven't been able to find yet what you could use to treat it but I'm working on it!

There are some real experts here, so hopefully they might see your post and offer proper help.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

http://algebra.adtddns.asia/pear-leaf-spot#

Hello Artemis ; I'm no fruit tree expert either ; see if the above offers any answers !

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Hi Paul, thank you for your post. 

I took a look and concluded that my poor tree has all those deseases depicted there!  Euthanasia is probably the kindest action!

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

image Sadly , you may be correct !

It's only 7 years old!         imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282

What proportion of the tree leaves look like those in your photo?

Can we see a pic of the whole tree?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi Dove, I got as close to the tree as I could so the state of the leaves and fruit can be seen; it's a bit taller but it's the lower part of it that seems affected. 

So, what do you think?  Euthanasia?

I think Iwas so upset about it last night that I hardly slept and today has been such a busy day that my head is rather spinning!

I really can't see a lot wrong with that ... looks fine to me.  No different to my espalier pear as far as I can see.  Some leaves are getting discoloured and marked now, but it's not long until autumn and  we had a warm spring, leaves burst early and we've had some very dry spells.  

I'd make sure it's not thirsty, a couple of buckets of water once or twice a week whether it rains or not ... while the fruit is swelling and ripening... fruit takes a lot of moisture to produce.    I've had the sprinkler on my fruit patch this afternoon.  

Also make sure that grass and other plants are cleared well away from the trunk ... I like a clear circle of around a metre diameter.

Sleep well image

Last edited: 07 August 2017 19:19:11

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you, Dove, for your words of encouragement.  However, can you see those black spots on the fruit?  Surely that's not normal, is it.  Moreover, I saw some misshapen yesterday, as well as spotty, and threw them out.

I will take your advice and remove all things within a radius of 1 metre, just in case it helps, and I will try to get some sleep tonight!  (I love trees and hate losing them.image)

Possibly a bit of pear scab ... https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=81