Forum home Plants

Plant ID, please

These 2 are growing in my garden but I have no idea what they are!  I would be most grateful for your help.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144

Hello Danae..............

First one is an Achillea of some form ; second ,from what I can make out appears to be blue comfrey ,or Symphytum azureum , but not 100% on that one .

• Hi Paul. thank you for your help.  Is compfrey a "weed"?

• I for got to say, Paul, that the dan-Ah-ee that I have added to my name is merely to help those who might wonder how on earth does one pronounce it!

Hello again DAN-AH-EE (have I got it right?)image

If it is comfrey , more a herb than a weed (why am I on italics now????) Oh well !

PS :- where does the name originate ?

• Hi Paul, it's Greek.  The stress falls on the second a, thus my capitalization of it in the... pronunciation segment!

Thank you for the explanation, re comfrey.  I will google it.

• Here is a link, just in case you like Greek Mythology, that is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana%C3%AB

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

The second photo looks like a type of Nepeta, Catmint.

• Hi Borderline, thank you for your post.  I do have LOTS of catmint but this is not like it.  Their foliage is very different. The catmint's leaf is at least 3 time larger, is lighter in colour, indented and somewhat speckled.  Moreover, it has that very characteristic scent. 

I know my photograph is not really good, so it can't be easy, even for those who know their plants, to perhaps be certain.  My fault!

Maybe not Comfrey , leaves are too smooth , not quite sure now .

There is a Ruscus like plant called Danae racemosa . Fame at last !image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

It's a good photograph actually. But just don't know the plant. I've seen it before but don't know the name. It could be a type of Salvia. I'm sure someone will get the name for you soon.