Forum home Plants

Plant Identification Please

Hello

Can anyone identify these two plants that I saw today when I was out visiting a National Trust property. I have no idea what they are called.

Thanks image

• First looks like Golden Rod, second is an Arum of some kind.

• Hi, there is a really good way of using your images to search Google.  Using your first image, I think it is Canada Goldenrod.

To do this, go https://images.google.com and in the search bar you will see a little camera icon.  You can upload an image or, just as I did, copy the URL of the image you posted here (right click on the image -> Copy Image Address if using Chrome).  The results will give you lots of similar images that you can hopefully use to identify your flowers.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: 04 August 2017 20:38:47

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994

No sure about the yellow one, but the red berries are the fruit of one of the Arums, possibly maculatum, but if it had variegated leaves then A. italicum.

First one could be Solidago as suggested.

Last edited: 04 August 2017 20:44:17

• I cropped your second image so that it was just the red flowers and used that to search, and it looks like it could be Jack In The Pulpit.

If using this feature, best to try to use a close up of the flower.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,856
    meanwhileinhell says:

I cropped your second image so that it was just the red flowers and used that to search, and it looks like it could be Jack In The Pulpit.

If using this feature, best to try to use a close up of the flower.

See original post
    That's the problem with 'features'. You'd need to seed the flowers and leaves for an accurate ID. Jack in the pulpit (Arum maculatum) is just one possibility. Berghill has suggested another, there are others.  I will be convinced by such features when I see one differentiate between 2 similar species. That is yet to happen

• Thanks for all the help and advice image

• Some of the other plants I saw today I had an idea what they were so I did google the names of those ones to confirm if I was right.

These two had me stumped which is why I turned to the forum for help.

I didn't know about the facility in google images to upload one of my images and search for similar.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: 04 August 2017 22:03:55