Forum home Plants

ID, please!

Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Earlier today, I found 2 small plants under the trees at the far end of the garden, no doubt a gift from the birds.  Both of them look rather familiar, but I don't know what they are.  I would be most grateful for any help.

I'm terribly sorry the speckled one is out of focus but, hopefully, still recognisable. image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472

I think the first one is a cotoneaster.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

I agree ... the first looks like cotoneaster (horizontalis maybe?)

The second looks like my bete noir ......... Acuba japonica 

Last edited: 03 August 2017 19:23:06

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Thank you, Fidget.  I do have a cotoneaster but the leaves are entirely different.  The one I found has small, almost sphaerical leaves; my old one has rather sword-shaped, much larger leaves, even when they're very young.  Unless, of course, there are several kinds of cotoneaster, which is most probable.

Thank you, Dove.  I have just googled your suggestion and I think you're right.

I blush to admit that I had never heard the name of this plant before but I'm sure I've seen it around!

Often used in municipal plantings ... I loathe it image  It looks to me as if it's been splashed with yellow emulsion by a careless decorator 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ha!  I like your comparison, Dove.

I must confess, I don't find speckled or variegated plants appealing either.  They look a tad sick!

There are some variegated plants I like ... but  they are few and far between.  Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata is, in my opinion, the most gorgeous holly there is image

and where would we be without all those luscious variegated hostas image

Last edited: 03 August 2017 19:47:14

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,874

I'm sure Fidget is right re the Cotoneaster, there are many

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 523

I would agree about some hostas, Dove.image

I agree also that some hostas look fine!