Forum home Plants

Help, please!

Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

My 3 year-old walnut tree, which I grew frm a nut myself, in the past 2 days has developed some ugly "blisters".

Does anyone know what they are and what I should do to get rid of them, please?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Panic not image  They're caused by the Walnut Gall Mite ... they won't harm your tree.  More info here

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/fruit-tree-problems/walnut-blister-mite 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Thank you, Dove.  Wonderful to know it's not life-threatening.  I do have a fondness for walnut trees and especially for this one, as I grew it myself!

Is it likely to "grow out of it" with age, do you think, or my tree and I have to learn to live with the mite?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

"A woman, a dog and a walnut tree,

The more you beat them, the better they be."

Old country saying.  I always wondered how the walnut tree would benefit from being beaten: would it produce more or better nuts?  It turns out that it's nothing to do with nuts.  Walnut is also prized as a timber for fine furniture.  Apparently beating the trunk produces bruising which shows as attractive patterns in the grain.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I think it's worse on young trees and hardly noticeable on large ones.  I too love walnut trees ... there was one in the veg garden on the farm when I was a child ... reminds me of home image

As for the rhyme ... yes I remember various people quoting it ... if the result of beating the wood is as positive as beating women and dogs, I wouldn't waste my energy if I were you image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682

Thank you, Dove.  It certainly looks hopeful.

The reason I like walnut trees is because my grandfather had a huge one in his orchard; I loved the size of it, the nuts and the smell of its leaves!

As for the saying, well, what can I say?