Forum home Plants

Please ID my mystery plant

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,948

I found this in one of my borders this morning ... I don't recognise it and don't remember planting it ... although I've had some helpers doing stuff in the garden while I was laid up, I don't think anyone planted anything I didn't know about.

I really don't have a clue what this is ... any ideas? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877

no idea , sorry.

Devon.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

That looks really interesting   !

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,345

Is one flower growing out of the middle of another? - that's weird

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Not a clue but I like itimage

SW Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,948

Well, I'm relieved you lot don't recognise it either ... I thought I was losing my touch image  but now we need to know what it is .............. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,220

Can we please have more details about the plant? How wide are the flowers? It seems to be growing among hostas; it the soil very wet there? Is it a lonely specimen or do you have a few of them? Does it smell? What do the leaves feel like: rough, smooth, etc. What about the stems section (square, round).

Last edited: 03 August 2017 10:29:40

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877

where's nut?

Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,084
    Hostafan1 says:

where's nut?

See original post

Quite.

How interesting. It doesn't look like a thing that self sows, does it? 

Last edited: 03 August 2017 10:39:09

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Phlomis is the only flower I can think of that has a flower coming out of a flower. Off to have a look at uncommon varieties. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,948

Doh!  imageMU you've got it ............ I had a few Monarda seedlngs Sarah Raven's Monarda 'Bergamo' that OH planted out for me a couple of days after I broke my foot ... I was so teed off and in such pain that I just told him to plant things wherever there was a space and they'd either survive or they wouldn't ...  but I thought he'd put them in the back garden.

That bed got so rampant while I was laid up that I thought they'd not survived ... but one of them must've done ... as you say MU, it's not the best example of its type but it's had a lot to compete with in that shady corner, which probably isn't the best spot for it.  I wonder if any more have survived ........ when the drizzle stops I'll go out and have a look ...

Thanks everyone ... especially MU image

Last edited: 03 August 2017 11:18:47