Forum home Plants

Propagating geraniums

I have a Geranium Dreamland which has carpeted and spread amazingly, it looks like it might be possible to create new plants from the runners it is sending out, donyou know if this is possible?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Hello Honeyheart

As with the majority of hardy Geraniums , lift the established clumps every 3-4 years and divide . They are a tough genus of plants and can withstand literally tearing the roots apart into clumps to make more !

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I only lift mine if I want to move them.  For cuttings I just pull bits off, take off the lower leaves and push them into pots of compost.  Most of them grow.

Last edited: 01 August 2017 23:48:01

• Hmm, mine seems to have  smallish central plant but lots of runner like tentacles spreading everywhere, just wondered if the runners could be rooted by pressing into soil and then dividing, as you would with strawberry plant runners?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

josusa47 's advice sounds good .

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

My mother in law just stuck pelargonium/geranium  cuttings in jam jars until they rooted. Then stuck them in compost they worked very well for her..

We have a similar process  with the "family"  Hardy Fuschia  which has now had many generations of renewal. They are so  easy to propogate.

My method is probably not really approved of in GW circles. image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'