Forum home Plants

ID Please

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635

.imageimage

Anyone name these 2 plants

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 497

The first one is Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigra'. Not sure on second one, maybe a Yucca.image

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635

Thanks, the second was a cutting of a plant my friend had. the original plant was big and had a big flower in the middle.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Think the second one is Yucca gloriosa 'variegata' .

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635

Cheers that's what it is Paul

• Fritillary - Spot On! ? My favourite grass. I have about twenty which I'm going to use in a design. Be warned - slugs and snails will wipe them out!

Soon you will see what look like little black bearings. These are the seeds. They take forever to become seedlings but the wait is worth it. Check the site below on how to propagate. Given the price they charge in the shops it is worth growing your own. You can also propagate by division in Spring.

A lovely and unusual grass.

Cool Tropical Plants.Com

?

My apologies for being pedantic here , but O.planiscarpus 'Nigrescens' is actually a member of the lily family ; gardens centres always lump similar looking plants with grasses in their sales areas , usually alongside Liriope , Astelia and Dianella .Nothing whatsoever to do with grasses .image

• Learned something tonight Paul. Makes sense now you have explained it. I guess the flower is the give-away as well as the family. Slugs must think it is party time when they are near to the lilies. ?

Hoping my little seedlings don't revert to green! 

?

Hello Robert343

Liriope muscari is of the same family as Ophiopogon ; this should be flowering now (white fls.) , and the Liriope flowers very late summer (purple spikes) ; planted together 'en masse' , this association makes for an interesting ground cover .

PS :- Ophiopogon can revert to green if in shade .

• Thanks for that Paul. Sounds nice.

Off to the RHS for details.

?

Believe it or not , Ophiopogon is actually in the Asparagus group of plants . Funny old world isn't it ?image