Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple Tree Leaf Curling

Help please image

Our first apple tree. It's about 1.5M tall, bought it from Homebase. It has 2 nice apples on it but the leaves are curling. I can't see any sign of any insects, bugs etc.

It's in a pot (as you can see in the picture) with holes in the base and then the whole thing is in the ground.

Ground is clay - solid clay so I have dug down about 30cm and filled with compost, then put this pot on top.

I feed weekly and water regularly.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance.imageimageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625

IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE HAPPY HEALTHY LITTLE TREE.

THE CURLING ISN'T ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. MAYBE TOO MUCH RAIN. MAYBE TOO MUCH SUN (image). QUITE NORMAL LOOKING.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT ROOTSTOCK THE TREE IS GROWING ON? OR HOW TALL IT IS SUPPPOSED TO BE WHEN MATURE?

IT WON'T BE ABLE TO STAY IN THAT POT FOR EVER BUT IT WILL BE OK FOR A COUPLE MORE YEARS OR SO.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I have no idea on the rootstock (without looking up I don't even know what this is).

It's a Braeburn tree. I did have one about 60cm tall that I planted directly into the ground and the leaves didn't grow at all and it just died. So I bought those pots and put it in there thinking it would stand a better chance rather than maybe drowning in the soil as the clay was holding water. It's killed off a lot of the lawn because the water only gets to go down 6 inches then stops on the clay.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625

WELL BE PREPARED TO GIVE IT A BIGGER POT IN A FEW YEARS' TIME. THEY DO GROW WELL IN POTS, THEY JUST NEED MORE FEEDING AND WATERING AND GENERAL ALL ROUND MESSING ABOUT WITH. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • A garden centre advised to put some lime on the clay and it would break it up so I was thinking of digging a bigger hole, putting down lime, filling with compost, and planting the tree in there.

• I have the same leaf curl, after 3-5 months you may want to apply some iron rich fertilizer
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    The leaves sometimes curl in sunny weather in order to present a smaller surface to the sun and cut down on transpiration ... nothing to worry about IME
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh