Forum home Plants

Ground cover

Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213

Hi all

I  have a south-facing bed that needs ground cover.  I was thinking of a Vinca, but have two reservations - will it keep the weeds down, and will it take over the garden!  Would love for some suggestions of what to plant.  The back of the bed has some thriving Euonymus, and some tall shrubs, but there's a metre and a half depth along the front of the border that needs the cover.  Thanks :)

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,814

I would avoid Vinca it will spread everywhere maybe think of mulching  & then plants some low growing plants through that. 

AB Still learning

• Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213

Thanks, it's helpful to have some second opinion on the Vinca!  Mulch is ready to go, it's the choice of low-growing plants that I'm still working on, so any suggestions would be really helpful!

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

I use Ajuga (reptans 'variegata') for that kind of thing, low growing with very attractive blue flowers.  You could also consider creeping Phlox.  Grows a little slower than Ajuga and covers the ground well enough to suppress weeds.

It sounds like you might have space for something a little taller, is that the case?  Perhaps Hebe (Midnight sky <1m?) or Daphne (Transatlantica <1m).  These should do okay at suppressing weeds once they're at full size (with room for something in front of them too).

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543

There are low growing ground covering sedums with pink flowers that would do well there and also things like saxifraga London Pride for foliage contrast and taller flower spikes with tiny, frothy flowers.

Last edited: 31 July 2017 13:29:44

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • thedjjjthedjjj Posts: 84

I planted a vinca a while back for the very same reason - quick ground cover. But, I've now dug it out - there are much better options out there for ground cover, and I found it a kind of boring plant image

I'd go for a tough geranium? If you don't need/want evergreen, although some practically can be in the right conditions.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I have a rather jolly little plant called Anthemis punctata, it has greyish foliage, evergreen, faintly aromatic, drought hardy and has cheery daisy flowers.  Don't know if it would spread fast enough for you.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

If you are thinking of growing Vincas, opt for minor version. Low and more neater, especially for the front of border. But if it's shady, there is none better than Lamium Maculatum, Spotted dead nettle. Another lovely plant that is evergreen and in my opinion has attractive foliage is Asarum Europaeum, wild ginger, small purple to red flowers in spring time, really worth growing for shady borders.

On a sunny and dry border, Erigeron Karvinskianus will spread around naturally, provided the soil is free draining. If there's some light shade, Geranium Sanguineum offers really neat clumps of dark foliage. Quite low growing and spreads lightly.

• Robert343Robert343 Posts: 53

Phlox Subulata Kimono.

A beautiful low growing plant that pretends to be a mini clematis with its lovely colour. Will keep flowering if cut back. Not fast growing. Lovely green leaves. Lots of photographs online.

?

Last edited: 31 July 2017 20:22:11

• Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213

Thank you all for the lovely suggestions, it's all much appreciated!