Horsetail Weeds

I have got an issue with Horsetail weeds popping up all over the show. I've put some high strength weed killer down which has killed them off and so far not seen any new ones coming back (Its only been a week though)

There is a flagged area of the garden and the weeds pop up in the gaps in between. My plan is to remove these flags and install some artificial grass, what I'm wondering is will they still manage to get through the weed membrane i'll be putting down? I'm seeing lots of different types available, is there a certain type I should go for?

I'm assuming if they do start coming back but cant get through the weed membrane they'll keep going until they can find a way out and starting coming up at the sides but I suppose I can deal with that and keep pulling them out.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,963

It survived the ice age and roots have been recorded 300m ( yes 3 hundred) deep. 

You're going to have to learn to live with it . 

Search other threads on the same subject on here for more info.

Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,878

Hosta is spot on with this. Weedkiller is only partially effective stems must be bruised first (helps to penetrate). It will prunch through most things or as you say come up round the sides.  Keep vigilant to keep it down.

AB Still learning

• thedjjjthedjjj Posts: 83

I too have this in my garden, and the only thing you can do is manage it by being persistent, enrich the soil, grow competition. I had weed membrane / landscape fabric on a border all around the lawn, with gravel on the top, it made it's way through there no problem, so I got rid of all that. That weed membrane also made the soil underneath poor, no worm activity or anything going on down there as they couldn't get into it. It was really heavy compacted clay so that was another thing in it's favour.

You will never be rid of it, but doing those things will improve it dramatically. You'll still need to go round collecting as much of the leaf growth as possible, to starve it a little of sunlight and over time less and less growth will appear. I don't use any spray or chemicals personally so I have no idea if that will speed up the process for you, but for that to be effective, from what I've read, you need to let it grow a fair bot of green so there's more of it to soak up the weedkiller.