Something is digging out the soil in my plant pot

Recently I repotted an ailing patio rose with fresh compost in different pot with some carnation cuttings and a sedum cutting.

Overnight a few weeks ago something had disturbed the soil so I tidied it up and put some large pebbles on the soil to deter whatever was doing it. This is what I have done before which other pots and nothing had happen since.

But this morning I find that a big hole has been dug in the pot and the soil and pebbles are over the lawn. The rose had some broken branches which is a shame as I had only noticed yesterday that it was being to shoot again. Sod's law I suppose. image 

I have tidied the pot and this time put a layer of shingle on top.

We do have foxes in the area which are regularly in the street at night as there is an allotment at the end of the road. Or was it a cat as I have had what I assume are neighbours' cats in the garden before.

Does this happen to anybody on this forum?

Any advice appreciated to tackle this problem.

Thanks

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,104

I had a similar problem with foxes Rosie, I thought it was cats at first until I remembered refreshing the compost in my herb pots and adding a bit of BF&B. Must have been irresistible to the fox who just made a mess!

• B3B3 Posts: 9,771

I never use bf&b for this reason

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 878

The squirrels are the guilty party round our way.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,771

Yes they often bury their nuts. But I found a very large dog chew thing in one of my containers last year. I left it on the ground and it was gone by morning. I sort of hope it was the burier that made off with the treasure rather than an opportunist

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,104

Just don't get me started on chewed things B3 image  Foxes have chewed one of my much loved suede garden mules, several garden gloves that they 'steal' from the shed ( always the right hand annoyingly), wooden cane tops and so on. Their worst - but most amusing habit is digging up my daughter's dog's buried treasure, usually a mini jumbone. He is so perplexed when he next visits and can't find it.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,562

Badgers are great diggers, too.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,500

A rat dug all my tulip bulbs out of their pots in the spring.

It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • Thanks for all the replies. At least I know I am not alone with this problem.

I have moved the plant pot so that it is amongst some other pots rather then on the edge of the patio by the lawn.