Forum home Wildlife gardening

'Weed' in lawn ID please!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,142

I have this in my mini meadow lawn and can't seem to find what it is.a hawkweed of some sort I think? Small yellow dandelion type flowers.The whole rosette about 3-4" across.

Any ideas please?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• It's hard sometimes differentiating the Hawkweeds/ Dandelion-like wildflowers but the leaves look too thick and hairy to be Autumn Hawkbit (Leontodon autumnalis) or Smooth Hawksbeard (Crepis capillaris).

Possibly a Cats Ear (Hypochaeris radicata) because of the succulent, hairy leaves which lack the prickly spots of Bristly Oxtongue (Picris echioides)

The history behind the names of these plants is rather intriguing image 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,142

Thanks! I have had a look around Google with those names and came across Leontodon saxatilis (Lesser Hawkbit) which is apparently a bit smaller than the Autumn Hawkbit and seems to be the nearest I can find to my plant.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • madpenguin says:

Thanks! I have had a look around Google with those names and came across Leontodon saxatilis (Lesser Hawkbit) which is apparently a bit smaller than the Autumn Hawkbit and seems to be the nearest I can find to my plant.

See original post

Thank you too! Have been brushing up on the dandelion-like weeds that are present in so many lawns and Lesser Hawkbit is one that isn't in my big olde book of weeds and fits the description and pics very well!! image