Forum home Plants

like a dandelion

Can anyone help identity this plant please.

The flowers are similar to a dandelion, and last a long time and do not produce the fluffy heads when they go over.  The plant makes a rather large clump and has curvy edged long leaves.

Thankyou.

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313

If the leaves look like stretched dandelion leaves it could be Hawkweed Flowerydel, I get quite a lot of it in my lawn. The flowers stand upright but the leaves lay flat.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

Thanks herbaceous

This was a plant in the border of my new home.  I put it in a raised bed last year to see what it did and whether I liked it.  It has got at least 3 feet across and the leaves stand upright.  I am not sure my photos show them well, but thats the best I could do.

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313

Sorry Flowerydel, I'm useless at border plants but always learning when it comes to weeds! It must be one of the Asteraceae I would have thought and someone will ID it for you I'm sure. They may do better with a picture of the leaves though? Good luck.

See how I managed a latin name there, been watching too much Carol Klein I suspect image

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472

I think it is one of the hawkweeds, Hieracum something or other, but Nut is the weed expert.

• Would be best to have a close-up pic or two of the leaves/rosettes from above.

• Thanks everyone, I am not too good at taking pics but having looked up Hawkweed in more detail I think it is that, so it has to go in the bin no matter how much I love the flowers.  It's a bit too rampant and self seeds too much for my liking.