Holes in lawn

I have found multiple small holes , 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter, in my lawn . I think it must be some insect but can't find out anything that might help. Anyone out there know ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,490

There is a type of solitary bee that nests in lawns and leaves small holes as they emerge, but that seems quite large. Have you had a green woodpecker hunting ants?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Blackbirds do that hunting for grubs and insects under the moss in my lawn...not that I have moss in my lawn you understand...image

• LMHmedchemLMHmedchem Posts: 14

When this has happened to me, it means that I have a bad grub infestation and the birds are feeding on them as plant pauper suggests. This type of damage is generally confined to a circular area and it can look like someone went after the lawn with a machine gun. If this is the case, the lawn in the area will start to die and you will easily be able to peel up the top 1/2" with a garden rake.

Check on this quickly because grubs can kill most of your lawn in a few days. The circle will will get larger, spreading out on all sides. This is another symptom indicating that the problem is grubs. If you have grubs, you need to do a heavy treatment with a liquid pesticide to save the rest of your lawn. You will also want to apply a grub control product to your lawn for the next several years.

LMHmedchem