Forum home Problem solving

Horse Manure

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,807

I need to buy some HM in individual plastic bags for the end of the season

? If I buy it now will the worms have processed all of the manure by September and will they then die off

? Any experience please friends

Last edited: 30 July 2017 13:38:14

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• When buying horse manure to put on your borders, allotment etc it needs to be rotted down for several months first minimum. A year or more is preferable.

Horse manure alone (without straw and shavings etc) can increase the acidity of the soil and scorch plants. The bacterial composting process breaks down the manure and produces a lot of heat that will break down harmful waste products as well as destroy seeds of grasses and (most) weeds) that could be problematic if fresh HM is added directly to the soil.

It will cost more, but well-rotted is a far better investment.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,219

If it is just poo - no straw, mix it with lots of green waste and stick the lot on your compost heap. If it is poo and straw, keep it somewhere until it is all brown, crumbly and sweet smelling.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,807

Thanks for that information which is really useful

? If I buy it now will the worms have processed all of the manure by September and will they then die off

I was wondering about the above fact 

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,541

If you're buying bags of rotted horse manure there are unlikely to be any worms in it - I've never seen any in the stuff I buy and I had 4 ton of it last year.
    If the manure is fresh, it won't have worms either because it's fresh and worms couldn't live in such an environment - you'll need to put it in a compost bin of some sort for 6ish months and turn it once or twice. With fresh manure, first bacteria get to work to break down chemicals that would kill worms and the like, then fungi join in then last of all the worms come along to finish off the job.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,622

if you're buying it processed from a manufacturer, no worms, if you're buying it from stables, probably worms but you'll have no idea how old / fresh it is.

If it's from stables, you need to use a bit of judgement. 

Does it still smell strongly of poo, ( sorry )

Is it nice and even and crumbly?

Safest bet is to add it to the compost bin and leave for a while, or use as a mulch but avoid touching the plants.

Last edited: 01 August 2017 11:26:24

Devon.