Forum home Wildlife gardening

Back Lawn to Wildflower Patch

13»

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,362
    I have some pics from last month on Garden design forum, and there are some other pics much bigger plot than mine.  No, you cant just leave it unmown, you will just get long grass, took me four years, I removed turf, on clay nearly killed me, tried seeds both autumn and spring, non germinated, then wild flower plugs both annuals and perenials, very expensive, and scoffed by slugs, not to mention back breaking digging thru the clay to plant them, so 3 years ago I bought my first wildflower "turf", 80% grass 20% flower mix, the grass dominates, following year wild flower  border turf, all flowers, plugs and seeds over next area, then last year hubby hired a turf cutter, we have a few fruit trees at the bottom of our lawn, 2 apples, 2 pears, a plum, the area surrounding it is now all wilflower turf, with grass mown paths, I trid the yellow rattle zero germination, every year I have tried to get Flanders Poppies, this year I bought plugs again, and with buket of saline, twice daily visits (and yes I am afriad slug pelletts) I have this year finally got half a dozen and am hoping they will seed themself.Best time to do it, early spring.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,362
    Newboy you shouldnt add topsoil, wild flowers prefer rubbish soil, stones, etc.