Forum home Plants

Anyone know what this climbing shrub is?

alexballalexball Posts: 2

I've been working in this walled rimageimageose garden for 10 yrs + AND I STILL don't know anyone who knows what this climbing shrub is. I absolutely love it, have struggled to get cuttings going from it.  It smells like honey when in flowers and is covered in hover flies and bees, 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530

A close up of the leaves and flowers would help.

• M FentM Fent Posts: 166

Is it evergreen? Flowers sort of look like Pileostegia viburnoides (climbing hydrangea)

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,896

Yes, a gorgeous thing and the scent is wonderful.

Not to be confused with Hydrangea petiolaris, the deciduous one.  

Think the Pileostegia is less hardy and benefits from a sheltered spot ... that walled garden looks ideal.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

Great to see this grown. If you are struggling to get this to propagate, have you tried the wounding method? It's around the right kind of time to try. Try to take one current season's growth preferably near a side shoot. Cut off the soft tip at an angle and cut the root side flat, at around 20cm in length. Cut off any leaves. On the lower remaining one inch, using a knife, lightly scrape off one side of the cutting to reveal a light coloured layer. Dip the one inch lightly in some hormone powder and push into prepared potting compost quite deep. You can then keep it watered in a green house, and very soon, they will root.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,865

A lovely thing indeed. 

The first time I saw one was outside the entrance to Uppark ( NT house which burnt down ) and so many folk asked about it, they had a label by the till.

Devon.
  • alexballalexball Posts: 2

that's fantastic, thought it was some sort of climbing hydrangea, will definitely try and get some cuttings going, its been there an awfully long time , would hate to lose it.  Thank you everyone. cant believe it has taken me so long to find out, time flies.

• Whatever it is, it's an absolute beauty!!!