Very sad tree peony

Hi all,

Back in April we bought a small tree peony for our border. It hasn't done a thing since it was planted! Its exactly the same size and has had no new growth; it's like it's in stasis. It did appear to have powdery mildew on the leaves within a month of planting it so we sprayed  with a anti fungal treatment but the poor thing has done nothing. 

The border recieves sunlight but also shade, which should have been fine according the plant tag. It's now looking a bit crowded and needs moving (it had lots of space for several months). We want to give it one last shot at a full and happy life (!) so want to move it but we aren't sure where too.

Should we move it to another border that recieves more sun or should try and plant it in a decent sized pot? 

Any help or advice much appreciated. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

I GROW HERBACEOUS PEONIES IN POTS AND THEY DO VERY WELL. HERE IS A GOOD DESCRIPTION OF THE NEEDS OF PEONIES, INCLUDING TREE PEONIES.

REMEMBER TO GIVE THEM A VERY DEEP POT BUT TO PLANT THEM SHALLOWLY.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-peony-pot-41756.html

AND NOT TOO MUCH WATER.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,988

I wouldn't put it in a pot, I've seen the roots of the big ones. 

Looking at yours, I'd say it needs more air circulation. I wouldn't spray, spraying the garden with chemicals is best avoided and anti-fungals don't alter the appearance of the existing leaves. They're deciduous and next year's leaves will be OK. 

• mushermusher Posts: 390

Tree peonies need good air circulation. They don't like being  cluttered with Plants surrounding them. Particularly low lying ones.They can fall fowl to a disease  called Peony wilt I think, If grown in those conditions. If you move it leave it until September.

• Thanks everybody. We'll move it in september. Might try it in an pot as we've run out of border space now. 

• mushermusher Posts: 390

October I mean't to say