Forum home Wildlife gardening

What could be cause of squirrel death?

Hello. We have quite a few squirrels in our garden and today I have found a dead one, which is intact, but the only evidence of injury is a red - not bleeding - area around its bottom and tail.

We have tall conifer trees in which we have seen a sparrow hawk and have seen foxes at night. Cats also come into our garden.

I am a bit baffled as to what might have killed the squirrel or its cause of death. I'm a bit concerned if it might have an infection.

Would anyone on here have an idea as it is baffling me?

Thank you 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,913

Farmers and game keepers poison squirrels. Don't know if you're near farmland or a large park?

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • lousylousy Posts: 7

Hello

Thanks for your reply. We've just got houses around us and not very near a farm or park. I'm hoping that it is a one off!

All you can do is keep an eye out, really. It could have eaten rat poison. It might have been caught by the sparrow hawk and dropped. No way of knowing, really. If you see any more you could report it in case someone is putting poison out which other animals could get at 

― Terry Pratchett

Thanks raisingirl! ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

And of course, even squirrels die of old age, pregnancy complications, liver and kidney disease, tumours, that sort of thing.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You have a point Dove from Above ? It could be something health and age related. Also looking at its spreadeagled arms it could have well fallen in response to an attack by a sparrow hawk and lost its balance. Perhaps something had a nibble of its tail afterwards.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

image  Very possible ... or he/she may have mites or mange or something like that .. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

yes dove from above I hadn't thought about mange ? I know squirrels are pretty clever Chloe but I'm not sure about their culinary skills ?

One fell out of a tree onto my dog's head once. He thought it was Christmas image. He has walked along that section of path looking hopefully up ever since image. Just like that image

― Terry Pratchett

I can imagine raisingirl! Well hope it doesn't start raining squirrels!!