Forum home Fruit & veg

Allotment rotation

Hi All, I need some advice please? I have just had my first year on my new allotment, but got bindweed issues! Anyway, i just need to know how to rotate my crops for next year please? I have a small poly tunnel which has potatoes, tomatoes, salad & courgettes in as well as beetroot, also 4 other beds outside which have potatoes, leeks, onions, swede , kale, Turnips & borage in & kohlrabi & brussel sprouts, parsnips, & broad/ runner beans i have been informed there is clubroot on the site but, luckily not suffered it myself this year, any help & advive is greatly received thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,064

The RHS have an excellent explanation and guide to 3 and 4 year crop rotation (use 3 if three main beds, 4 if four main beds):

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=124

Last edited: 29 July 2017 11:36:16

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • connie77connie77 Posts: 129

Hi Bob, heck that was a quick response lol, oh never thought of looking there thanks , 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,064

In my experience, you can never quite stick to the plan Connie and some sections will need to have the same type of crop for 2 years on the bounce.  If you need to do that, then do it with legumes (peas, beans etc.) as those don't generally suffer from soil-based issues and can be grown in the same place for several seasons without problems. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • connie77connie77 Posts: 129

Thanks Bob, yes i was going to move my beans next year anyway as not really great where they are, blocks my view of plot from my shed lol! But at least i can't see the weeds when i have a brew