Forum home Plants

Cuttings advice

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

I took softwood and leaf cuttings of various plants (Privet, Physocarpus, Salvia, Heuchera) one month ago. They are in propagaters in an area away from direct sun. When can I take them out of the propagaters and/or put them in sunshine?  We have a greenhouse, would it be better to put them there?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811

Hi KOG - I think they should be outside at this time of year. The heucheras certainly. I shove bits of them in pots and forget about them - they're very straightforward. Mine are in all sorts of locations around the garden. Privet as well - they're tough, so shouldn't need any coddling - just a sheltered spot.  

I don't grow Physocarpus or Salvias - the salvias might need a bit more protecting later in the year when it's colder, but I'd get them outdoors somewhere suitable if they're rooted and looking happy. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

Salvias can be outside if you see new growth. Just leave them against a wall away from direct sun for a few days and gradually get them used to the cooler conditions. Then you can allow them a bit of sun later. It's mainly in the winter months, you will need to bring them into a greenhouse or similar. But by next Spring time, they will be ready for a bigger pot and left outside once frost has gone. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

Thanks. It was getting too damp in the propagators so I think I'll move most of the plants  outside in a sheltered spot, otherwise I fear some of them will rot.