Forum home Fruit & veg

Weird bug on clementine tree

imageimage

hey all. I'm new to growing fruit/veggie plants and I got this clementine tree from Pam fast growing plants. It came and some leaves had holes in it but otherwise it looked good. When I planted it I noticed more tiny holes popping up and I clipped them. I've been spraying it with diluted detergent to prevent more bugs. But today I found this rather large guy and I was curious if anyone knew whether or not it was harmful? 

I also have a mind plant plant near by and it's had some thing flying out/eating it's  leaves as well. There are also white meshy loking spots. Dunno if that's from spider?

thanks for the help!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

I'M AFRAID THAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN INSECT LIKE THAT BEFORE.

DO YOU LIVE IN UK?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • mkatiebmkatieb Posts: 2

no, I live in central NJ :/ it's rather large  I also have those green triangular bugs that look like little leaves

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,946

I think the one in the photo may be an immature Cricket ... at the stage called a nymph.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

philippa smith2 says:

It does look a bit cricket like but how many types are there ?  Not being funny but are US Crickets somewhat different to ours ?  Well, apart from the accent obviouslyimage

See original post

Well, there's this sort Phillipa

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,472
    headayet says:

I think this is harmful for your plant.because it will destroy the new leaves .so you should remove it immediately.

See original post

What exactly are you basing that on? Do you have a definitive ID for the insect? The vast majority of insects cause very little or no damage to plants.

There's this type too Dove   image

I may have misunderstood ....slightly....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Not many of that sort in the USA tho' Fairy image

True   image

As  for headasyet's assertion that it'll destroy the plant ... it's obviously imperative that we should go out and kill every insect immediately ... goodness knows how plants have managed to survive this long ................. or he could just be some chancer trying to promote a website on his personal profile Der!!! 

I took a look too - I think that's a certainty Dove. God loves a trier eh?  image