Solar Powered Water Feature

I live in a retirement complex for the over 60s and last year my son bought me a water feature for my birthday which ran for a few months before my scheme manager told me to remove it because it would have stagnant water. I have learned that another scheme have one but running on electric.

Is this right that the solar powered water feature will house stagnant water.

Thanks

Graham

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 831

Does the electric one run all the time? If so then there would never be still water so that would prevent things like mosquito larvae or algae growing. I should think that your solar powered one would only run when it is getting daylight so sometimes the water is still. I'd be surprised if that was enough non-flowing time to cause problems though.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,864

DOES THE WATER CONTAIN ANY FISH OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT OR IS IT JUST WATER?

IF IT IS JUST WATER, YOU COULD ADD A DROP OF SALT TO IT AND NOTHING LIKE MOSQUITOS WOULD WANT TO LAY THEIR EGGS IN IT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • No fish it is just an ornamental animal type water feature, i take your point about adding salt but this unfirtunately does not answer my question about stagnant water.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Graham

• Singing Gardener says:

Does the electric one run all the time? If so then there would never be still water so that would prevent things like mosquito larvae or algae growing. I should think that your solar powered one would only run when it is getting daylight so sometimes the water is still. I'd be surprised if that was enough non-flowing time to cause problems though.

See original post

Yes electric one runs all the time i believe and i agree with you about when it is still but they are adamant it would be stagnant water.

Thanks

Graham

Strictly speaking, as the definition of stagnant is "not moving" then the water is stagnant when the solar powered pump is not working. But problems really only arise if the water is stagnant for long enough for things to breed in it. Perhaps you could discuss what problem they have with stagnant water and try to reach a compromise.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,280

Might the powers that be agree to your fountain if you undertook to change the water frequently?

• josusa47 says:

Might the powers that be agree to your fountain if you undertook to change the water frequently?

See original post

I doubt it they are sticking to their guns about stagnant water. I will just have to give it back to my son i think.

Thank you all for your thoughts in the matter.

Graham

• Singing Gardener says:

Strictly speaking, as the definition of stagnant is "not moving" then the water is stagnant when the solar powered pump is not working. But problems really only arise if the water is stagnant for long enough for things to breed in it. Perhaps you could discuss what problem they have with stagnant water and try to reach a compromise.

See original post

The problem is head office has advised my scheme manager of their decision and i do not think i could win against a big organisation once they put their foot down in their decision.

Graham

It seems a pity but I agree that arguing against the head office of a large organisation is probably fruitless. Perhaps your son can replace it with an electric one?

• Yes that is an option but it would mean obtaining permission then electrician health and safety etc plus a base constructed for it to sit on. I think reality will set in on this and i will have to concede defeat.

Thanks for all your advise on the subject.

Graham