Forum home Problem solving

Airbnb

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,286

pp

"There is, however, an ignore button for folk who have even fewer manners than he.

Thankfully he's far enough away for it to make little difference and now so are you."

tee hee. That made me laugh out loud. 

That particular piece of nastiness was dumped in my ignore cupboard a long time ago. 

Devon.

a1154

" Places looked tons better than they actually were. "

I think the same can be said of, hotel websites, holiday brochures etc, unfortunately one has to take these things with a pinch of salt.

Devon.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 776

Yes fair point Hosta. I suppose I think my accommodation is really fairly represented, and good value for money. I don't like people talking things up and then you feel it's not a good deal. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,357

I think it might help that you are close by. I heard of horror stories of stag parties taking over properties and leaving it trashed.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,465

Rented a cottage in Donegal a couple of years ago and it was fine.   I suggest you give it a go this year Hosta to see how it goes but then maybe set up your own website to manage and screen lettings yourself.   That's what the people we rented a gite from in the Charente do and it means she has control.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,042

When I went up north a couple of years ago with the girls, we rented a cottage via the walkhighlands site. The owners rented it out through Welcome Cottages, but they were telling me that they'd decided to start doing it themselves, because the company kept moving the goalposts.

Lovely people, and a lovely place - beautifully managed. They lived in the main house where they also did B&B, and they had two cottages of different sizes on site. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 548

We've used Airbnb in the past and been happy with them ... but this year we've had an issue.

We found a place we fancied booking. They had space for our dates so we decided to book. Part way through doing this Airbnb insisted that my husband send a scan of his passport .... and allow them access to his googlemail account including his contacts. All of this was in order to verify his ID. We decided this was out of order and that we would look elsewhere. My husband checked his credit card account and found that they had taken the money for the booking even though he'd refused to cooperate with their intrusive ID checking. Fortunately the card company were able to sort it out and we didn't lose any money.

We've ended up using HomeAway ... and had no similar issues.

I understand Airbnb wanting to protect property owners ... but I think their current arrangements are over the top.

Bee

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   

More food for thought guys. Many thanks.

Devon.
  • We have used home and away for the last two years, renting a property in Hampshire. It worked out very well, four adults ( of a certain age ) and three dogs with the owners permission it was a very good Holiday.

Never used the company you are asking about but something in the back of my mind says I read something not long ago of a persons accommodation being trashed by a letting.

Cant remember t

• Sorry got cut off, pressed the wrong button.

I was going to say I can't remember the outcome.