Thank God for the internet

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,500

Just had an example of "whatever would I have done without the internet".

I found a pigeon grounded in my garden, under a telegraph wire which I suspect it flew into.  When I picked it up, I saw it had a leg ring.  I put it in a cardboard box indoors and googled "injured racing pigeon".  Only needed to look at one website, it gave me instructions how to care for it, feed and water it, and how to contact the owner.   Now it's on it's way home, and the man who came to collect it expects it to make a full recovery.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,928

Great news image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 971

Great, you did a good job.image

• JessumJessum Posts: 31

I also had a good experience with the internet.  A week or so ago my friend found a lost cat in the hot weather, he was hungry and dehydrated and she took care of him.  I took some photos and asked my daughter in law to post them on Facebook.  The owner was found in about four hours and was happily reunited with her pet the following day. He had been missing a week.

I was so happy that owner and pet were reunited.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,500

Me too.  image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,335

Same thing happened to me Josusa.  Here is a picture of the pigeon.  The owner was a little boy and his dad (a racing pigeon fancier) came to collect the bird.  He said his son was really missing him.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,372
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,335

Love it fidgetimage

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,372

I think the fuzzy felt tractor is St John Deere, or St Matthew Ferguson.

He can plough the fields and scatter..

Last edited: 28 July 2017 20:58:26

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,474

Great link fidget image.  The lost cat one ? and the Kate Garaway one could've been written by Dave Gorman.  

Well done to you josua ? The pigeon's owner must be very grateful that you took the time and effort to track them down.  Had a similar situation last year with a lost dog on our street. I caught it, leashed it, and took it to the police station.....they didn't want to know, told me to let it loose again if I couldn't take it in (on a Sunday afternoon)image.  Next-door neighbour got on her Facebook, found a plea for the lost dog, and in less than two hours the owner was reunited with their pet.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,500

Just spoke with the pigeon's owner, it wasn't injured, just cream crackered, and is recovering well.  I was hoping he might say  "This is the most valuable pigeon in my loft, how can I reward you?"  If it happens again I might demand a ransom.image