Forum home Plants

East facing border

Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Like the title says, I've an east facing border. I understand, and observe, that east facing borders mainly get the morning light. Mine does till midday and then is shaded by the fence.

I'm after your recommendations for any flowering plants (seeds, bulbs, tubers, shrubs, or perennials) that do well in this aspect in the summer.

So, if it's doing well in your east facing border now, please let me know.

Thanks Tina

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561

I've got a south-facing garden in a sheltered area of East Anglia so what does well in my garden might not suit yours.

Anyway in my east facing border I've got a few shrubs - Forsythia, Perovskia, Choiysia Sundance, Sambucus Nigra and Pyracantha. Mahonia, 2 small-leaved Hebes.

perennials - hardy fuchsias, Sedum Spectabile, Alchemilla Mollis and Heuchera (these 2 have insignificant flowers but nice leaves) and Platycodon - balloon flower.

I also plant up some pots with summer annuals such as fuchsias, begonias and Bizzy Lizzies.  In spring I put in some pansies and primroses for colour.

I have some non flowering shrubs to add some evergreen colour, a yellow and green Euonymus, a variegated laurel and an Eleagnus. Oh, and a red-leaved Cordyline.

Last edited: 26 July 2017 19:30:53

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,004

Any plant that needs partial shade doesn't do well in my east - facing border.

Roses erysmium, verbena bon and the other kind too, cosmos, ,clematis,euphorbia,fuchsia,grasses,sedum, hardy geraniums, euphorbia,aquilegia, pulmonaria,primroses, marjoram all do well in my east facing clay bed - and some I can't remember the name of.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

There are many plants that can be planted there. Do you know what kind of soil you have there? Also what is the size of the border.

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173
    Borderline says:

There are many plants that can be planted there. Do you know what kind of soil you have there? Also what is the size of the border.

See original post
    I think it's neutral to alkaline, definitely not acid. And silt soil. It is a long one metre deep border. I live in the north east of England. Get some cold winters, but over drier than the west.

Last edited: 26 July 2017 19:41:24

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Since it is not too deep a border, I have left out shrubs and you are looking for mainly summer flowering plants. I recommend these plants because they should provide you early summer to late summer interest. All are quite easy to care for. Not high maintenance plants, but offer a lot.

Eupatorium Maculatum has very dense leaves that look good as a foil for shorter plants. Plumes of flowers all summer. Thalictrum Delavayi will send out delicate looking mauve flowers in late spring to early summer. The leaves are also interesting when not in flower. Tradescantia Andersonia offers a contrast with straight looking leaves with triangular shaped flowers and yellow contrasting centres. Always looks good in the shade where blues tend to glow. At the front, Heucheras, a trusty perennial that looks good in flower and not in flower. Geraniums, another reliable and adaptable plant. Taller Psilostemon has bold magenta flowers. The leaves colour in autumn time. A tall grower, so could be planted more in the middle. Pratense Mrs Kendall Clark adds pretty pale purples that looks good in the evening time.

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Thank you for all your suggestions.I will look all those up.

I do love mauves, pale purples and white flowers. All those look greeat

Last edited: 26 July 2017 22:10:13