Forum home Plants

Acer colour

Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Hi. I bought this acer (possibly) a Katsura back in the spring and all the leaves were a lovely light green colour. Now in the middle of the summer it has lost its stunning colour and gone to a darker green. Is this normal behaviour or is it perhaps because its unhappy and been sun/wind scorched? I know that acers do turn to different colour but im not sure if mine is just burnt and feeling sorry for itself. 

The picture shows the plant with old leaves to the left and new growth to the right. The right was the colour it was when I first bought it. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Hello Torg22,

Looks like too much sun and warmth ; most Acers of this kind prefer dappled shade , plenty of rainwater and cool root growing conditions ; shelter from drying winds is also essential .

If it's in a pot , place somewhere as above for it to recover , keep moist and it should be fine for next year.

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Yeh I was worried someone would say that. I have one bloodgood in dappled shade and it seems really healthy. All are in pots.  Only problem being there isn't much dappled shade in my garden/communal car park. Will have to give it some thought. Thanks for your feedback 

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Another problem with this one was that there was an ant nest within its rootball. I tried washing them out and immersing in water when I first potted it up but im not convinced it worked. I've heard that ants won't kill it but for sure they were making the soil dry out ever so quick. If they are still in the soil it could be contributing. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160

It's clearly been too dry Torg, if there's been ants in it's pants!  image

You need to thoroughly soak the entire rootball for a good while to rehydrate it. You may have to immerse it in a big bucket of water to do that. That will also send the ants somewhere else. As it's in a pot long term, make sure you don't use only compost. It needs a soil based medium to help maintain moisture and keep it nourished. After you get it properly dampened, use a mulch on top to help retain it. Bark is good and also lends itself to the look.Lack of moisture early in the year also contributes to frazzled leaf ends.

What kind of pot is it in? Clay will tend to draw moisture out of the soil/compost, so a glazed one is better if you can manage it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....