Forum home Plants

Hosta being eaten

Sara5Sara5 Posts: 21

Morning all, 

My hosta is being eaten by something at the moment, but unsure as to what?  I use nematodes, to get rid of the slugs, and haven't really seen many slugsimage/slug trails around this year? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks 

Sara 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

I've never used nematodes, but my understanding is they don't work against snails. I might well be wrong.

Go out with a torch after dark and get the bleeders.

Devon.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Sara, have you read"The little book of slugs" which you can buy from the Centre for Alternative Technology?  It gives dozens of ways to deal with them.

• Sara5Sara5 Posts: 21

Thank you both, so you think it is snails/slugs?

I will go out this evening to see if I can get the little 

blighters :-) 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147

I think Hosta's right about the nematodes. We have huge snails here, and it's very satisfying picking them up and flinging them...

If you have nay plants in pots - or even just empty pots - check round the rims for them during the day or early evening. They like to lurk there, and also in certain plants. They enjoy hiding in my phormium  foliage among other places. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561

My sister uses a variety of 'methods' to get rid of the little blighters.  Copper tape stuck round pots - apparently the slime on the critters reacts in contact with the copper and gives them a jolt.  Just make sure there are no slugs or snails in the pot before you attach the copper tape - it could stop them leaving the pot !

My sister's more effective method is a beer-trap.  She sinks a container into the ground (jam jar etc) and fills it 3/4 with beer (cheap stuff will do).  They love the smell, get drunk, fall in and drown.

Her last resort is slug pellets which don't seem very effective - seem to attract every little varmint within a one mile radius !

I've found that although I've got them in my back garden, they are mostly absent from the front, so that's where I have my hostas, marigolds and dahlias.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Eric's Mum, I don't pamper my slugs even with cheap beer.  A jamjar full of warm water, a few teaspoons of sugar, and one of baking yeast, leave it in the kitchen for a few days.  I find they drown themselves in this just as readily as in the real thing, and it's much cheaper.